The house and several small cabins sit on a wooded 10.5-acre estate near the edge of Lake Superior on Madeline Island. The house was originally built in 1913 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. After the original owners of the house sold it, the property operated as a resort and hotel for most of its life. At the 100th year anniversary of the property, the structure was showing signs of its age and while the new homeowners loved the historic character and details of the house, their desire was to update it and convert the property back into a private retreat.
The extensive rehabilitation took several years to complete but the end result is one which is sensitive to its historic beginnings.
The walls and ceiling were restored with over 10 linear miles of beadboard.